Approximately 20 years ago my parents brought me to my first music festival. We headed to upstate NY to the original site of Woodstock, where an unofficial festival was happening to celebrate 25 years since the original festival took place. Within minutes of being there I saw naked people running around throwing glitter looking happy and free. Thank you mom and dad for that experience even though I’m pretty sure that witnessing naked people with your teenage daughters and their friends was probably pretty embarrassing for you.
After that first experience I’ve gone to more music festivals than I can count and I’ve learned so many things about life. Here are six of those things:
- Be yourself because who you are is awesome. The first time I felt it was safe to be my weird, wild and quirky self in all my glory was at a music festival. I allowed myself to be a true expression of my authentic self. I’ve learned to let that side out in my day to day life. People were going to judge me no matter what so I decided I might as well let my freak flag fly.
- Treat others the way you would like to be treated. For one weekend tens of thousands of people gather somewhere because they love music and create their own temporary city. We’re all living in that crazy city together and when we all watch out for each other it’s magical. Everyone at some point was somebody’s baby. Thinking that way really helps to feel compassion and love for every person even when people sometimes act shady.
- People aren’t always what they seem. I’ve seen men and women dressed in crazy costumes, spinning in circles and dancing like lunatics and then finding out later that they are lawyers, teachers, politicians, activists and doctors.
- Listen to your body. I like to compare going to a music festival to running a marathon. You’ve gotta pace yourself, put enough fuel in your body, drink enough water and get enough rest.
- Go with the flow. I’ve created schedules for music festivals that I tried to keep , and often when I did that I missed a magical experience that was happening right in front of me. Life is what happens when you’re out making other plans. Surrender to the flow and watch the magic and miracles unfold.
I am so excited to bring all of these life lessons with me to Gathering of the Vibes this year.
Hope to see you all there. For more info & to buy tix visit: www.GoVibes.com #
The awesome in me sees and bows to the awesome in you.