I’m missed my family fun day in the city last weekend (an annual tradition with my family and another family where we go to a play and dinner) because my flights got canceled because of the ice storm we experienced in Vermont. I called Jet Blue while waiting in line to get rebooked since the line was pretty much out the door. I told the woman on the phone my situation and how I was already dressed in sparkles and a Santa hat.
I was very kind to her and let her know I appreciated what a good job she was doing.
45 minutes later after doing everything she could to get me on a flight today she got me on an earliest previously completely booked flight tomorrow.
I told her I wasn’t mad because I’m always at the right place at the right time even if it’s not where I thought I would be.
She gave me her reference number if I wanted a job because of my calmness and we exchanged emails because she wanted to see a photo of me in my outfit.
I told the people around me to call the number because the line at the airport was so long and the people on the phone are so nice. A woman snapped angrily at me, “I already did and the woman was a bitch.”
The energy you put out is the energy you receive.
My experience last night and today with Jet Blue was extremely pleasant and my ass somehow got a confirmed seat on a sold out flight.
The lesson is even when you are really sad because you can’t get where you want go remember you are always at the right place at the right time and to practice radical kindness and compassion to those around you.
Me in the car after I didn’t get on my flight in my Santa hat and sparkly outfit.
To put these lessons into practice I created the Radical Kindness Challenge. Here’s how it works.
- Let at least 1 person a day know you appreciate the job they’re doing.
- When you are faced with an angry person instead of responding with more anger, respond with love and release the attachment to having them not be angry. Your loving reaction will have an effect on them whether they notice or acknowledge it or not.
- Remember you get to choose how you react in any situation. Choose to act kind and with love…always…not matter what.
- Be radically kind to yourself by practicing at least one act of self-care a day. Treat yourself to a massage, take a bath, have a dance party, write in your journal, meditate or do whatever speaks to you.
- Sign up to volunteer for a cause you believe in or make a charitable donation. It doesn’t matter how much time you donate or how big of a donation. Do what you can.
Join the conversation and share how you are going to be radically kind.
Read my most recent MindBodyGreen article, “7 Things I Learned From Phish.”
The awesome in me sees the awesome in you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I’m grateful for you.
Love and light,