As Michael Franti would say approximately one hundred times at one of his concerts, “How you feeling!?!?!” Hopefully you didn’t drink too much last night and woke up feelin fine. If you arose this morning (or this afternoon) and woke up feelin less them fine because of your alcohol intake, take a moment to check in with yourself to find out what occurred. What mistakes did you make? What could you do differently next time? Do you need help?
Although not the main focus of Rocking Life ONLINE (a membership coaching program coming soon), there will be a section on Conscious Partying each month. If this is something you’re struggling with or just want to learn more about, you’ll likely find a lot of ideas and support by being a member of Rocking Life ONLINE. Big announcement coming soon!!!
If you’re not following me on Instagram @ rockinglife__ yet, make sure you are!
There’s this idea that many people buy into where what happens at the party stays at the party. The truth? Not at all! As in the previous challenges, all the single use plastics, kind gestures and hangovers all stay with you long after the party is over. Today’s challenge will have you thinking about how your partying ways have a pretty huge impact on the health of the planet. Realizing that some of my actions had way bigger consequences than I thought was one of the biggest motivators for me to stop doing them.
Conscious Party Challenge Day Four
Party Like the Health of the Planet Depends on It (Because it Does)
Person at a party, “I would never eat a banana that wasn’t organic and fair-trade. Do you know how many chemicals they use? They treat the workers horribly. The farmers barely able to make enough money to survive. Yeah! I’ll totally have a bump of that coke.”
Here are some things to think about:
- Let’s talk cocaine. You’re not nibbling on coca leaves like the locals do in Peru. That wonderful leaf was a part of the process, but by the time it gets to you, it’s almost non-existent. In the drug’s purest form, it’s doused with toxic chemicals. By the time it gets to you, it’s been cut with so many things from baby laxatives to laundry detergent. All of that is pretty gross, but then think about the energy of the people who have handled it before it got to you. All of that energy is in that bag and then put up your nose and shot directly into your brain. It’s pretty obvious that it’s bad for your body, but the impact it has on the planet is even greater. By purchasing cocaine, you are supporting all of the people involved and basically saying that you are OK with their actions. It’s also damaging the areas where it comes from financially and environmentally.
- Not all alcohol is created equal. Some breweries, wineries and distilleries are making huge strides in sustainability. Others are doing the opposite.
- A balloon is not just a balloon. Nitrous can be pretty fun at the time, but even though the effects of it last for merely seconds, the impact lasts far longer. If your best friend is a dentist and you’re getting medical grade NO2 from them and doing it safely at home with biodegradable balloons, have fun. If you are buying it from some a stranger on the street or in the parking lot of some show, chances are that person isn’t a dentist. It’s likely that they purchased the tank on the black market from a person who possibly doesn’t have the same morals as you. Or maybe they are the distributors. While walking on the streets of NYC after Phish at Madison Square Garden, there were people selling balloons and I got in their way. I was pushed into the street into on-coming traffic. Once at a festival, a dealer tossed his tank under my tent bruising my entire back. My head was almost hit. At shows at the Gorge this summer, men with Nazi tattoos were selling it. Your purchase supports these people.Then there’s the balloons that get thrown on the ground.
Here’s what you can do:
- Just say no to most white powders, balloons and other drugs that are known to have people making very bad choices behind them and have a negative impact on our environment.
- Say yes to fair-trade coffee, chocolate, mate’, green tea and other mood boosting herbs.
- Do your research when it comes to the alcohol you consume. Choose companies that are making efforts to be more sustainable.
- Know where your ‘stuff’ comes from.
- If you’re going to partake in recreationals, get a test kit so you know what you’re doing.
Capture a photo yourself partying like the health of the planet depends on it. You can be out and about or at home. (Can be from this list or make up your own way), share on social media using the hashtags #consciouspartychallenge and #rockinglife and tag me on Instagram @rockinglife__
Bonus: Make an insta-story about what you did and tag me @rockinglife__
Everyone who completes this challenge will be entered to win a signed copy of my book, How to Rock Your Life: Maintain the Magic of Live Music in Your Everyday Experience and free memberships to Rocking Life ONLINE. If you complete the bonus, you’ll receive an extra entry to this contest.
Rocking Life ONLINE is a membership program for people who want to use the momentum of their live music passion to propel themselves into the healthy lifestyle they desire. More info coming soon!
See you tomorrow for the final day of the challenge!
The music lover in me sees and bows to the music lover in you,