I was having a conversation with a friend the other day telling her about all the things I used to do like:
- drinking at least a six pack of Diet Coke everyday
- sucking down Big Gulp Slurpees on a daily basis
- driving from fast food restaurant to fast food restaurant getting things from each of their dollar menus
- eating entire half gallons of fat free sugar free frozen yogurt
- ordering Big Mac’s without the bun and thinking it was healthy
- chugging countless amounts of Red Bulls
- hiding in a closet eating cookies my mom sent to me in college so I wouldn’t have to share
- inhaling entire loaves of Italian wheat bread with a can of cold Campbell’s soup for lunch
- eating entire extra large cans of Sesame Street Spaghetti-O’s for lunch followed by hard pretzels
- consuming packets and packets of fun dip
- drinking more Snapples than I can count
- devouring entire boxes of cereal
- searching out my roommates leftovers out of the trash and eating them
- drinking half gallons of fruit punch that had no fruit in it in a sitting
- bringing a tray of sugar free jello shots with me to a party and eating the entire thing with a spoon
- drinking bottles of Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill in a night
- eating entire pizzas at 2am almost every night for a semester (my roommate worked at Dominos)
Do you know what’s amazing? I put all of that processed, chemicalized, sugary, artificial fake food into my body for years and I didn’t die. Breaking news…
Do you know why I’m still alive?
My body rocks!!!! <<<tweet if your body rocks too.
Not only did I not die, but now I’m thriving. If I kept on that track forever I might not be deceased, but I there is no way I could feel as good as I do know. No Big Gulp Slurpee or loaf of bread is worth it. The good news is, as long as you are alive right now, it’s never too late to make a change. I cleaned up my diet and started listening to what my body wanted. I used to suffer from seasonal allergies, chronic sinus infections, IBS, hypoglycemia, joint pain and getting random weird illnesses all the time. When I was eating all of those foods I listed above, I was addicted to them and thought that was what my body wanted. Like at approximately 3pm everyday when I was having a major sugar crash my body would be telling me very loudly that it needed a lot of Diet Coke or else there was no way I could possibly function.
How crazy is that? I was a relatively healthy college student and my body was telling me I needed an outside source of energy to survive. I was slowly killing myself with food.
If your diet looks anything like mine has in the past I challenge you to switch things up. Experiment with these 3 simple tips.
- Only eat foods with ingredients you can pronounce. If it’s a fruit, vegetable, legume or nut…eat it. (Unless you’re allergic)
- Replace all drinks with water.
- If you are feeling a craving, take a moment and focus on your breath. Put your hand on your heart and ask yourself what you are really craving right now. Listen to the answer.
After you’ve cleaned up your diet for at least a month, your body will start to let you know what it really wants to feel good. You might be surprised. I know I was.
If you told me 15 years ago that I wouldn’t cry if you took my bread away from me or that I would think fast food and Diet Coke tastes disgusting, I would laugh at you and tell you that you’re crazy. ..but it happened.
What have you done in your life that you’re like, “Dude! I’m amazing because I did that and I’m alive?” OR what is one thing you can eliminate from your life right now and what is one thing you can add to it? I would love to hear ALL about it. Join the conversation.